Monday 8 May 2017

Caraval by Stephanie Garber



Well now...why did I wait this long to read this book again? Caraval is a thrilling ride of fantasy and beautiful description and it's just...words escape me but I'll try my best to write something almost as beautiful.




What I Liked

Where do I even start? Scarlett is a great main character, she's torn between doing what's best for her sister and exploring her own life. More than anything she wants to escape her Father and the island but believed the only way of doing so was following her Father's orders and marrying a Count. It's sad but it makes her a more interesting character and her way of seeing things through colour is really interesting. Something about Scarlett really resonated with me and I'm sure it was the same for many readers. The other main character the book focused on was Julian. I wasn't sure what to think about him at first but he started to grow on me fairly early. On he was funny, sweet and I loved him calling Scarlett 'Crimson', it was a great nickname. I also loved Dante a little, maybe not a huge amount but part of me did.

I also loved the way the magic worked in this world. That it's not always there and that it needs something to work. I liked that the wish itself worked but wasn't some beautiful magical scene. All in all it was actually really interesting and I'm really fascinated to see more of how it works. The magical dresses were also awesome. I'm a huge fan of pretty dress descriptions, they're some of my favourite things to read and write so I definitely adored these.

Finally the thing I love about this is the even mix of familial and romantic love. It's always good to see sisters in fiction so I was glad it was so focused on it.

What I Didn't Like

There weren't many things that I actually didn't like about this book. It was incredibly enjoyable and I could barely put the book down, apart from when I had to. The things I did have an issue with weren't really bad, it was mostly the characters who you weren't supposed to like i.e Legend, her Father and the Count.

The only thing that I am a little ehh about is Tella's reasoning about what she did. I get that she was trying to protect her sister in her own way, that she was supposed to be getting them both free but it relied so much on her sister going through so much pain and loving her enough. Of course she did and it seems as if Tella is going to have work off what she owes in the next book but I just get the feeling that once again Scarlett will try and save her - and I really hope book 2 focuses at least partly on Scarlett still as I love her, It just felt as if Tella wanted Scarlett to have to deal with all the pain and I know that wasn't the case but yeahhh. I still like Tella well enough, she's just not one of my favourite characters.

Yeah, I need this sequel like now.


5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment