Thursday 18 May 2017

Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo


Well, now Six of Crows is a ride of a book, one you don't have to be a fan of the original Grisha trilogy to enjoy. Because yeah, I really don't like them. Six of Crows is a novel the first novel in a duology and it has a lot going on in it.





What I Liked

So obviously the heist is a big part of the book and fortunately, it was really well-written. You follow the characters through the twists and turns of their plans and of course, things don't always go to plan. When it does work, you can really see how cleverly everything is pulled together. Part of this is tied into the world building though as the gangs and what they have to face are all so different. It just all works so well and made for a fascinating read.

Another major plus is most of the characters. My favourite by far was Wylan but Nina, Jesper and Inej were all a close second. Even Mathias who I wasn't fond of at first at least had a very well-written redemption arc. I'm not usually a fan of redemption arcs but it was interesting to see how his opinions change and that it's not always simple to change your prejudices. Romance wise I'll admit to loving Wylan and Jesper best. Their bickering was great and I'm sorry but "Maybe I liked your stupid face!" it was perfect and wonderful. I just absolutely loved it. Actually, I loved a lot of the humour in general as in places it was a very funny book.

What I Didn't Like


I may have harped on about loving the characters earlier but there was one that I didn't like. And this is going to be such an unpopular opinion but the fact is, I just didn't like Kaz. I understand his back story and his issues but I just- I just didn't like him. He was so cold and angry and so very violent. The moment he gouged someone's eye out I was put off of him for good. I won't go into much detail in case people read this having not have read the book but it was mostly for Inej and that's just gross and too much in my book. 


The book itself was a little gross and violent for me in general. I should have gathered from the Game of Thrones comparisons but it wasn't enjoyable for me. I wish I'd had a warning for the eye-gouging among other things but I didn't so nope.

I really did like this book though, quite a lot and I'm going to have to get my own copy. After I've read and adored Crooked Kingdom of course which I'm going to do as soon as possible!

This book is definitely worth the hype and I would recommend.



4.5 Stars out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment