Friday 16 February 2018

ARC: To Kill A Kingdom by Alexandra Christo


Look how pretty that cover is?! I was so lucky to get a copy of this book through ReadersFirst in return for an honest review.

To Kill A Kingdom is the YA fantasy debut of Alexandra Christo. It's a Little Mermaid retelling with a different and it features some wonderful world building along with a wonderful hate/love relationship. If you're looking for an enjoyable but magical read then this book is for you.



What I Liked

Oh man, I could talk about this book for hours. Everything about this book was oh so wonderful.

The relationship between Lira and Elian took the perfect amount of time to happen and their banter was wonderful. I needed this sort of fun relationship in my life right now. It was wonderful to read and I loved seeing how their relationship changed. The rest of the cast was fun to read about too and even when you didn't like a character they were interesting.

As well as this the book had some fascinating world building. It could have been basic and open but instead, you discover some fascinating magic and belief systems. I wanted so much more of this world but there was only so much you could see within these 350 so pages.

What I Didn't Like

My only issue relates to the above need of more world building and that's that I'm disappointed this book was a standalone. Yes, this story was summed up nicely and works well as a single book but I want more!

Overall

This book is such a wonderful, easy read. The sirens in this book were as nasty as they should be but you still felt for Lira. The cast of characters was interesting and I loved all the banter. This book was exactly what I needed right now.

A great book and I would happily recommend to everyone.


5/5 Stars

2 comments:

  1. Great review! I love your book pic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting book! And that cover is goooorgeous! Thanks for the review <3

    ReplyDelete